The Museum of Art and history of provence (M.A.H.P.) brings together, in the hotel Clapiers-Cabris, large collections devoted to both everyday life in Eastern Provence since prehistoric times, and Fine Arts and Decorative Arts from the 17th century to the first half of the 20th century.
This regional museum is the work of François Carnot (1872-1960), son of the former President of the Republic married, in Grasse, to Valentine Chiris, daughter of a perfume industrialist who was at the origin of solvent extraction. The creation of this museum quickly gathered together the local elite and a number of French and foreign donors. It is based on a large group of friends of the museum, owners of the collections, which today supports the museum's development and activities.
Based around regional archaeology and popular arts and traditions, a selection of paintings, sculpture, graphic art, furniture, ceramics, glassware, textiles, jewellery and weapons, the museum tells the history of the Eastern Provence whose traditions, firmly rooted in everyday life, favoured the emergence of strong local identities.
In this mansion, which has retained its original distribution of staterooms and private spaces, reconstructions of rooms where he would have lived and didactic exhibitions coexist harmoniously on three levels opening onto the south side, to the garden.